Monday, December 14, 2009

Apparently I literally CAN'T make this up: Sylvia Brown

Ok so I have this joke with friends.  I want to learn cold reading so I can pose on a street courner as a medium, psychic.  The idea is to do the whole show straight up until the end where, contrary to most cold readers who are "happy happy heaven" stuff, I inform someone their loved one is in hell...and blames them.

Again the joke is just the calousness of just revealing such horrible things to someone, slandering someone who can't defend themselves.


Well....the shtick was already taken apparently.



and before anyone asks, YES this is real, and yes she claims to be a real psychic.  I....I can't believe people tolerate her.  If this is what soothsayers were like back in the day, the whole 'burning at the stake' idea suddenly makes sense.  Not that it's right...but I can *sure* understand it now.  I'm sure that girl's father was ready to chop up some kindling himself at that point.






1 comment:

EB said...

mehhh - it's all psychology anyway. any fine upstanding hooker/hustler/whatever can do the same shit, except in skivvies.

that being said, there *is* something to being "empathic" (the term's a little woowoo, but what else can i do?) - i think there are some people with nimbler minds, moving just a little faster, that are able to do this. and i wouldn't outright condemn someone's empathy or intuition *PROVIDED* they have no interest in using it to turn a buck.

like when i talk w/ olga, and she "has a feeling" - i think it's due to her larger life experience, and the various skill sets she's acquired thru immigrating, navigating the US, being a mom, divorcing, etc.

or like me when i used to "read" my mother's mood by her near-micro expressions/footfalls/etc. it takes intimacy, or at least flexibility and attunement - woo or no.

so - the point of this - i'm with you on the despiciability of abusing any mental/possible woo stuff for profit (or cruelty) *BUT* i would like to investigate it as a cultural phenomenon, it's uses, etc. kinda like my theory of astrology being the first stab at psychology. it fulfills a need, a need i'm not sure is completely empty, but it's gonna take a lot more than someone on a street corner to convince me.

yeahhh....it's gonna take ma telegraphing me from that big male revue in the sky to convince me ;)