My Trip to the Sexeum
So my birthday was this weekend, fulfilling the last piece of the February Triforce Weekend (Darwin/Lincoln Day, Ing Day, Valentine's Day). For this weekend my special Lady (links to her blog and craft shop, go support her dang it), took me into NYC to see the Museum of Sex, bum bum buuuuuuum.
Surprising it is NOT just them taking all the porno stores Giuliani chased away and redressing them as a 'museum" it was an actually entertaining and educational museum of the variety of sexy time stuff. So here we go with my blog picture tour recap.
So let's start the picture tour...
First things first


Pen Stations is weeeeeeeeeeeeiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrddddddddddddddddddddd

After looking for the subway (the subway system is a blight on a city that is otherwise a shinning example of civic engineering) we finally got unlost and made it to the museum.

If you can't read the front let me blow (hehe) that up for ya

Good, lord this place is going to be special…
Anyway, the entrance doubles as a gift shop. There's some good things, some odd things, and some things that must be destroyed with fire, more on that later. A lot of the stuff is classy and upscale, you know for sex toys, but you can (I'm told) get cheaper elsewhere. There are a lot of books there that I thought were cool or funny, but again nothing you really can't get on Amazon or the like…so the only stuff of note is the nightmare fuel, which I'll mercifully spare you…for now.
The museum is made up of 3-5 (depending how you count) galleries. From what I can gather two of those are sort of cycled out with new exhibits seasonally, while the rest are pernement artifact and art displays. The museum itself is really a mix between an art gallery and a historical museum.
The first gallery, which was a special, was a history of contraceptives (high focus on the condom). There's a lot of actual, legit, entertaining trivia here.

WHO KNOWS WHAT EVIL LIES IN THE DICKS OF MEN!?"]
Proto-Condom
literally a 'rubber sheeth'
There was a gallery of condom box art that was interesting.


I'm sure now Sarah Pallin will be listing me in her growing laundry list of "people who must be reminded that I have a downe syndrome baby"...cause you know anyone who brings up anything tangentially related incurs her bespectacled wrath.
Of course, Japan is well represented in the museum.
There was much to learn on the history of the condom.
Apparently, Eastern European Jews played a big part in the condom.

Good Lord he was the Dr. Strangelove of rubbers!

Comedy, Comics, and Condoms; the three gifts the Jews gave America.
Of course now knowing that, it makes THIS condom all the more WTF.

*Head asplodes*
I think the worst part for me, is that that could very well have come from the company the German's seized from Jewish businessmen.
Surprisingly, the nazi's on a whole are also well represented in the Museum
(mostly in the naturalist movement stuff)
Moving on...
You may ask, "Do they have anything on sex ed or condom awareness raising?"
Why yes...yes they do
A series of condom educational commercials using sex muppets.
30 seconds after this the frog is totally all over that scientist.
In another video of that series not-Groover also gets his Snuffleupagus chopped off (and then sown back on)
I'll spare you that image.
There are also some subtle political commentaries
"Text: Know Your Scumbags, One Prevents HIV"
Like I said: subtle
After seeing many displays reminding people of the horror of AIDS and how some groups are total cock bites for remaining silent or sabotaging health programs, you really need something lighter. Hence, condom based art.
QUICK EVERYONE TO THE CONDOMZEPLIN!
I want one...
And now...THE most awesome historical lesson ever!
CONDOM WARS! This has to be made into a movie. Picture it, Women in corsets on Victorian building top fencing with weaponized over-sized dildos.
Well after this we move onto the STD and paraphernalia room. I'll do a full post on that but I had to share this one poster that I thought was special.
A poster showing the supposed negative health effects of masturbation.
Ah so masturbation causes..lethargy, drooling and....being Peter Lorre?
Don't let this happen to, to yooooou!
Part two to come soon.






No comments:
Post a Comment