Friday, October 2, 2009

Again on 9

To answer my Gal Pal's address, I think one problem I had with 9 (and this is problem only in i'm intentionally being critical) is the lack of motivation and back story given to the villian, Machine. 



 Rage Against him!

Are we to imply that Machine is evil because he is pure intellect?  That seems...odd.  If it's not anti-intellectual (literally) than that would mean the Machine simply is full filling it's goal.  This is a common reason for AI revolts in sci-fi...

some side stories imply Skynet is villianous due to a vague objective it was given.
HAL in 2001 had conflicting objectives
Sentinals in X-men eventually went on a "destroy all life spree" because they were programed to kill mutants and their AI eventually discovered that all life diversity is due to mutation.


...or they could just be drunks.


Furthermore, Machine seems to show some emotion, given his spark fits when a creation is destroyed.  Is it a slave rebellion?  I really want to know more about the origin damn it!

I also don't get WHY Machine sucked up poppit souls.  Does that mean he himself DOES have a soul (part of the Professors?) which would make him...what?  #0?...#10?  He had a slot for the soul storage...thingy.  Why would that be there if he wasn't intended to use it?


 Not THAT kind of soul!

Really the sci-fi now is raising more questions that it answered about it's setting...and a cardnal sin about any sci-fi/fantasy setting is to violate your own rules.  I liked the movie, I just kind of hoped the big secret they were carrying was something more unique than just 'soul'.  That's kind of an easy guess...why not something else that would be a way to preserve man kind.  There's no unique or innovative gear punk way to have something like that? 

1 comment:

EB said...

obviously we need a 9 miniseries, or fanfic. not like either of us are looking for more writing projects, tho.